Saturday, January 3, 2009

Buy Nothing New For An Entire Year?!


So, that is my project of the year. I celebrate Buy Nothing Day every November and this seems like it would be a great challenge to try.
I really do not think it will be that hard. I am not much of a shopper. I actually prefer to shop at second hand shops anyway. I get a kick out of finding a pair of almost new name brand jeans for a few dollars knowing that someone else recently paid many times that amount for them.
I also think it is a great advantage not to have the "new" clothing smell and chemical residue that comes with buying new. I always have to wash a new item several times before I can wear it without getting an itchy rash. Yuck.
I did plan ahead for this project. I went out before the new year started and made a few purchases that I knew I could not go a whole year without. I bought underwear, a good razor, etc. Things that you would certainly not buy used.
I think it will be really fun to go without, use up what I already have or go and find it used in good condition.
Anyone care to join me?

No comments: